List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KOffice Dialog Box
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2002-06-16 1:42:06

On Saturday 15 June 2002 17:36, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> On Saturday 15 June 2002 18:59, Joseph Manojlovich wrote:
> > At question is this modal dialog box, which pops up upon the launch
> > of any KOffice application:
> > http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/~josephm/koffice-dialog.png
>
> I'd also like to have that dialog box optional.
>
> I once read a good article about the Americans liking wizards (and in
> real world, people coming up to other persons offering help), while
> Europeans don't like wizards that much, but want to initiate the
> action themself (in the real world, Europeans won't approach other
> offering help and don't like being approached, but are just as
> helpful if you ask them)

I have no idea if this is, true, but i am a european and i surely DO
dislike wizards, as well as having people offering me help without me
asking for it.. I usually walk out of a store if im asked if i need any
help more than once :) (and yes, im quite aware that this is not
rational, but it just *really* annoys me.)

And i really do dislike this dialog as well. I might be strange, but
when i open a word processor i expect/want a new empty document using
my default document settings. If i want a template or open an existing
file then i will ask for it. (or in the latter, click on the file in
konqueror)

This might seem to be a tiny problem, i mean, i can just hit enter. (if
it use A4 as default that is, but i think this actually should be taken
from the country settings, if it isnt already) But i think this dialog
has another problem as well, of which the worst is it being
inconsistent.

This might sound strange, what i mean is that:

kpaint starts with an empty image, using some sort of default size.
ark starts with an empty archive.
aKtion shows a "splash" image instead of a movie, waiting for you to
open one.
kate starts with a new empty file
kdevelop starts in the state it was in when it was closed it seems, same
with noatun.
kghostview starts up without showing anything.

While most of these are readers i think they are exactly the programs
that could come up with a dialog by default since you cant really do
anything before you open a file, but they dont.

And i know the productivity programs (kate, kpaint) er much simpler than
the koffice programs, but still.

The koffice applications are the only ones i can think of that starts up
with such a dialog. So the problems might not be inconsistent with
eachother, but i think they are inconsistent with kdes other programs.

I guess this point is rather vague though as there are plenty of worse
inconsistencies and this wouldnt be serious enough to counter the
arguements in favor of the dialog.

I think a much better point would be that we are some that dont want the
computer asking us questions we feel are unimportant. This is why i
dont like wizards in general, including the kpersonalizer. I dont
really mind that one though because of the simple fact that i only see
it once. The tips that are shown at login is another example. I turned
that thing off faster than you can say KTip :) While i might actually
want the information it displays, i still dont want it at login. I
would much prefer being able to start it manually, or much preferable,
to have a help page in the help center containing all the tips (a
single page preferably that could be read from the beginning to the
end)

So whatever im just weird, or this really is a european thing or
something, then the poster is not the only one who dont like this
dialog.

Mvh
Troels

PS: It might actually be a european thing, or at least from parts of
europe. I think the reason i can't stand the salesman asking for help
more than once is that it is considered rude. Asking once is ok, but
twice is not.

PPS: Another example from myself is that i went from word to wordpad
until i figured out how to permanently disable (uninstall) that
annoying talking paper clip. Yes, it really annoyed me that much. The
"lack" of obnoxious "features" is one of the reasons i started using
linux back in the kde 1.0 days. (dont remmeber the year, just remember
that i found kde 1.0 after using fvwm95 for a while)