List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KOffice Dialog Box
From:       Joseph Manojlovich <josephm () mail ! sis ! pitt ! edu>
Date:       2002-06-15 18:02:55

All that I would like to see is the option to not show it. My point is
that every other office suite I've ever seen doesn't have this dialog
box, and that perhaps more than a few people are used to that
behavior.

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On June 15, 2002 10:59 am, Joseph Manojlovich wrote:
> for those who didn't read the thread: it wasn't pointless, the koffice devels
> simply brought up issues that didn't get answers; therefore the request
> wasn't granted (and no code was offered in any case) ...

Yes, I didn't offer code. Saying that I offerred no answers is, odd.

When I say pointless, I only mean that the exchange lead to no
understanding. I'm sure this is more my fault than anybody's. I didn't
mean for that to sound insulting to anybody.

All I'm asking for is an option to not show this dialog box on
startup.

> the counter points they presented are actually quite good and were left
> unanswered. they didn't say "no, it will stay, so there!" so much as "but if
> we remove it, we are left with the following challenges and we know of no
> good solution for them"
>
> e.g. how does one easily change the default once it has been set?

You're right on this. I'm not sure of a way.

Perhaps it could be made into a drop down box, that contained a list of
the templates. This could be put in a per-application properties dialog
box.

Also, since the same dialog box shows up on File->New, a user could
change the default then.

> and no, using a menu item that usually isn't for that purpose isn't good
> enough.

Nevermind then :-)

> and no, just because every other office suite is broken by design doesn't mean
> koffice should be (not to say that koffice doesn't have many other serious
> usability problems)

All I'm saying is that this broken behavior is ingrained in millions of
office suite users. I agree that it's stupid to have to get a blank
document before being able to choose a document template, but people
are undoubtedly used to this from previous office suites.

I don't want the dialog box to be removed, just to be made optional,
that's all. For these people, who aren't used to it.

> and yes, that dialog is dismissable with a simple press of the enter button.
> you suggest that the dialog should be accessable via File -> New; if it is so
> much of a burden then it shouldn't be pushed on the user there either.

It is accessible that way now. I'm just asking for an option to make
the dialog box optional on startup, is all.

> in reality, there should be no difference between openning a new document by
> File->New and opening a new document by clicking on the office app's icon.
>
> also note that the dialog has more function that simply "open a new file"...
> in future it will even take on wizard capabilities...

Again, I'm not trying to completely remove the dialog box, just make it
optional.

> in future, can i suggest just posting a link to the lists.kde.org
archive so > you don't have to go through trouble of cut 'n pasting
and we can read the > full thread?

The emails were spread out over several threads, so it would have been
annoying to have asked people to follow them, when I could simply have
copied and pasted myself. I thought this would be more convenient for
you.

> btw, do you have some evidence that 90% of people don't like it? or that it
> bothers people to a great degree?

The other 90% of office suites?

> general user polls are generally useless ... people willing to observe and
> report on users performing specific tasks are quite useful, on the other
> hand.

Ok. If this is the general consensus here as well, then I guess the
dialog box stays. I suppose this issue isn't that important. Thanks for
your time!

--
Joe Manojlovich
josephm@sis.pitt.edu