On Wednesday 12 June 2002 12:33 am, Troels Tolstrup wrote: > On Tuesday 11 June 2002 08:06, Tim Jansen wrote: > > IMHO the shorter "more information" link in #9 is better than the > > "Click here for more information" in #10. > > I changed the link text and uploaded a #12. I think the visual layout i= s > getting close now. > (still at http://www.tolstrup.org/kde/baloon.html) This is coming along VERY well. Great work! > Except one thing. Colors. Should the color scheme be used or should the > normal tooltip color be used? I actually made it yellow so far to make > it resemble a tool tip. I think it should use the tooltip color, however I would note that the no= rmal=20 tooltoop color has become such because the colors red & yellow (according= to=20 marketing, ui design, etc.) indicate 'action' (as in 'HEY! You NEED to do= =20 something) and thus draw attention. The lighter tone of the tooltip gets= =20 attention but doesn't neccessary YANK a person in like a solid yellow wou= ld. =20 This is, of course, a good thing. I really like having two colors there (the kind titlebar look, like the l= ower=20 screenshots have. Really attractive and professional. > Im still not 100% sure about the behavior either. > > Should clicking on it close it? Even if it has a close button? Wouldnt > that be confusing? What if they attempted to click on the link but > missed it? I think clicking on it SHOULD close it. The user clicking there says tha= t=20 they ackowledge that it is there and (hopefully) have read it. Have a bu= tton=20 to close it is good, IMHO because the user then doesn't have to ask=20 themselves 'how do I close it'. I know it sounds redundant, but sometime= s=20 you have to be. > Should the delay pause while the mouse is on top of it? I think this is a good idea. > What is the best way to disable a specific popup for good? Right > clicking and selecting "Dont show again" in a context menu? (the item > should be grayed out if it cant be disabled, the program will have to > do the actual disable work i think) Or should the baloon include a > checkbox? (i think it would take up darn much space though, especially > since there should be an ok button too as it would be nasty to change > things without the user aknowledges his choice) Hmmmm, that's a tough one. Maybe make it an option that the app can deci= de=20 whether to include the functionality or not.???? > Is it a problem that help about the baloons in general would be in the > more information link? This would cause all baloons to have such a > link, even if it doesnt contain any context specific help. But im not > sure how else to add the baloon help to it. > > An alternative could be to place the help as an option to the RMB > context menu and add a tool tip to the baloon explaining how to get to > it, or is that abuse of the tool tips? It would have the advantage that > the more info link would only be shown when there is more info. RMB generally will NOT get used by the standard user. So, if it is an op= tion=20 that users will somehow NEED, then it should NOT be RMB. If it is more o= f a=20 power-user thing, then I think RMB is fine. > Another alternative would be to add a menu button like in the window > decorations. This could contain both the help and the "dont show this > again" option and would hence get rid of the RMB context menu. See #13 > for an example of this. Im not artist so i have no idea if the icon is > clear or not. I somehow feel that is better than the other options, > even though i dont like putting another button on it. > > I will start playing around with the KPassivePopup code and see if i ca= n > make a working prototype soonish (as in copy the code and make a demo > program using it). It will be my first QT/KDE project so i dont dare > giving a time estimate yet. --=20 Christopher M. Young, RHCE, MCSE, SCSA, CCNA, CCA cyoung@linuxnetworker.com _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability