List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Baloon" help
From:       Gordon Tyler <gordon () doxxx ! net>
Date:       2002-06-10 22:14:43

On June 11, 2002 03:47 am, Troels Tolstrup wrote:

> Yes, the danger is however that people will then be surprised when it
> disapears when they dont click on the button. I really dont know if it
> should be there or not :-|

Hmmm... I think this sort of question can only be solved by human trials ;)

> > I think the "5th try" is closest to what I was imagining, with the
> > following suggestion from the "normal person": Add a "Do not show
> > this again" checkbox.
>
> The reason i havent done that yet is that im afraid of 2 things:
>
> 1. It makes the thing even bigger and more complex.

Yah, I'm worried about that too.

> 2. It is easy to hit by accident

Ah, but it would just toggle the checkbox. It _wouldn't_ dismiss the tooltip,
giving you a chance to undo your mistake.

> Hrm, good point about the icon. And if we remove the icon then i guess
> we might as well remove the titlebar. But adding a title must be
> possible if we are to stay source compatible with the current one.

Ah, well then source comaptible it shall be. Perhaps we just need to
experiment with different styles for the titlebar.

> In the next version that im putting online shortly i went away from this

I think I'll wait for the screenshots ;)

> > Ah, but I have one of those new-fangled sound cards that supports
> > multiple applications using /dev/dsp so I get the beeps mixed into my
> > music. A tad jarring sometimes ;)
>
> Hrm, i know this is OT, but can you point me to a howto or something
> describing how to do that? I at least think a SB Live! should be able
> to do that, but mine doesnt. Or is it arts and not /dev/dsp that give
> me trouble?

Err... I didn't have to do anything special with my SB Live. I use the emu10k1
kernel driver. I've got arts compiled normally and no funny sound server
settings. I've got xmms configured to use it's OSS output. It pretty much
"just worked".

Ciao,
Gordon