List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: TOM write-up
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-06-11 0:23:56

> in your list so far i'd suggest that there are perhaps too many entires.
> e.g. what is the difference between "Manage Finances" and "Accounting"? is
> one for personal and one for business? what is "Manage Mailings"? what is
> "Layout" (DTP?)?
That's where help from the usability list comes in... =)
E.g., Layout  ~= Adobe Illustrator
Manage Mailings came from the idea that many administrative employee do lots
of little tasks related to (snail) mailing lists - mail merges, mailing
labels, check deliveries, tracking, etc.  But it's probably too broad.

> wouldn't "Connect to boxen (e.g. server-based email)" be just a special
> case of "Read & write email"? same for "Check Webmail"? (which brings up
> the question of how best to aide the user in assigning apps / commands to
> specific types of tasks...)
Yes, totally true.  The list could use MUCH better organization, but I do
think there's quite a few kinds of tasks that Check Email is a particularly
important example, and it's sort of complicated.

> the "Manage Personal Information" menu looks quite good, though i'm a
> little curious about the last three items... how will we handle the first
> time a user selects "Vew bank accounts"? ask for their bank URL?
> if so, how do we manage that?
Perhaps we can help the user look through bookmarks?
Truthfully, I have no idea if all of these are feasible - I'm just thinking
out loud - but I do think these are representative of the kinds of tasks
people might want to do.  Perhaps it's better to start with ones that are
more limited in scope and see what kind of tasks people end up trying to
do...

> also, would wording like "Check code in and out " be better if was a bit
> more specific, such as: "Use Revision Control (Cervisia)"?

Probalby right.  I'm guessing the task entries for developers will be refined
quickly. :)

> perhaps you could do up a set of TOM task group files so that it would be
> possible to play with these things in TOM itself.. this will not only give
> a better feel for the menus, but also help find issues in TOM.

I'll try to get to that tonight, but it's gonna be tough....

Cheers,

Eric