List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Improving the Application-Starting Process
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-08 20:30:16

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> On Saturday 08 June 2002 22:03, Alistair Davidson wrote:
> > Also, console and text editor are really just geek
> > tools, I would expect anyone who needs to use the console knows how to
> > add it to the Panel by themselves.
>
> I certainly wouldn't say so. Text editors and the console are used a lot in
> science, where almost every article is written in LaTeX. Although some people
> at out department don't know how to even configure KDE, they know how to
> start their text editor to edit the tex files, and how to change to the
> directory in the console and run latex texfile.tex there.
> Currently, Linux (and thus kde) is used a lot at universities (here the Math
> department at the technical university run almost exclusively on linux, and
> the same is the case for the physics department at the university), and there
> using a text editor is certainly not only for power users, but the most
> common thing (except from reading email -- even with pine).
>
> Please don't understand me wrong. I think making KDE mum-proof is really
> important, but when redisigning we should certainly not forget the current
> userbase.

Fair point, I hadn't considered universities... Still, I'm not sure that
the konsole needs to be on the panel, in a university environment it can
be added by the sysadmin (I presume that you have to fiddle around with
all sorts of things centrally already...), my worry is that we clutter
the panel with tools that many users simply don't want or need. Most
home and corporate users, upon openeing the konsole, would simply get
scared and clsoe it again (this was one of the things that came out of
Sun's GNOME usability study)

--
Al
"the Old has never hesitated to make use of the foulest and cruelest