List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kmenu concept
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-06-07 22:21:08

On June 7, 2002 03:12 pm, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> I was thinking something along these lines, too.  Bear in mind that for any
> managed computer, there are sysadmin-controlled menu items and
> user-controlled menu items, and as someone who sometimes sysadmins, I think
> it's important that the sysadmin be able to control at least some menu
> items.

yes, there will be an "immutable" flag that sysadmin will be able to use to
make changes not allowed ... we will be able to do this per task group even

> > much like the special menus are shown/hidden.
>
> Can we default these off?  I know lots of people like them, but I think
> they're overkill for a novice.  Let's also:
> 	Rename "Special Menus" - why are they special, what do they do.  Or put
> another way, what kind of task group are they?

they are dynamic menus that can be added / removed ... they are a holdover
from the old kmenu, and include things like the print manager and windowlist
menus... w/out them this becomes useless for anyone but a simple user, and
i'd like to use this menu style when it's done too ;-)

of course, if all the special menus are turned off then this section won't
appear at all...

> 	Turn off Run Command (put in with the Special Menus, with Kicker KCM
> control) by default

ack...

> 	Turn off Lock Screen - I claim (based only on my opinion) that Lock Screen
> is a more advanced command than

and, come to think of it, i never actually use it in the menu either ...

> 	I might even look for a new home for "Find Files" for total novices.

finding files is a basic thing ... perhaps with the recent documents, though.
i'll experiment about...

> I also noticed that when you pop the menu out into its own window, the
> titles disappear, which makes the items confusing.  How should we handle
> this?

that is a bug in kpopupmenu, methinks... i'll look into it eventually ...

> 	o Where is the hierarchy of menus read from?  In the case of a KMenu, how
> do you merge sysadmin-generated menus with user-generated menus

the applnk directory structures are merged ... in this case we'll use a
regular rc file and just merge the system and user versions (which KConfig
does for us, mostly)

> 	o A very powerful feature of a menu with a change-apps wizard built in is
> that users classify their applications by configuring it.  I'd really like
> to write a back end that takes advantage of this fact and makes their
> classification available to the rest of KDE.  Without revisiting the
> kde-look metadata wars, let me just point out that this is valuable
> metadata about apps....

it already exists: mime-types...

> 	o How does this task and classification scheme work within apps?

mime-types

> > /me looks over at kspread, knowing what this means =(
>
> Oh, you mean make this of general use for other menus... Now that's genius!
> =)

no, i mean that the work i wanted to do on kspread is going to get pushed
aside =/

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein