List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kirc and others vs. konsole
From:       Eric Christopherson <rakko () charter ! net>
Date:       2002-06-07 0:32:34

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 10:59:58PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On June 6, 2002 01:47 am, Kristian Koehntopp wrote:
> > Did you notice?
> >
> > In Konsole, you are using Shift-Left and Shift-Right to switch
> > consoles.
> >
> > Everything else uses Alt-Left and Alt-Right to switch tabbed
> > views.
>
> yes, and it bothers me to no end =)  i have a feeling that Alt-Left/Right have
> meaning for some console apps though; could someone confirm/deny this?

I doubt it, at least in Linux; the Linux text console uses alt-left and
alt-right to switch between virtual terminals. I'd think that it'd still be
possible to pass alt-arrow to a program if you hit ESC and then the arrow
(unless the app is using the 8th bit for meta, but I'm not sure how cursor
key sequences would work with 8th bits anyway).

Now HERE'S what bugs me: I can't seem to define actions for ctrl-left and
ctrl-right. Even though, judging from the supplied keymap files, it should
be possible, konsole never does what I want it to when I set key mappings
with ctrl+arrow key. (I'd love to have ctrl+left/right move a whole word at
a time.)

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 02:03:16PM +0200, Kristian Koehntopp wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 6. Juni 2002 06:59 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > yes, and it bothers me to no end =)  i have a feeling that
> > Alt-Left/Right have meaning for some console apps though;
> > could someone confirm/deny this?
>
> I bet any key combination will have some meaning to some obscure
> application. I'd rather go for consistent behaviour and some
> escape mechanism (such as C-V in bash, which takes the next
> character literally, even if it is a control-combination for
> readline, or C-A in screen). Perhaps scroll lock or some other
> key that is seldom used could be used as a "literal" prefix?

Scroll lock, IMHO, should be used to stop the konsole from scrolling. But it
is a good idea to have some sort of escape key.

> > > knode and other programs do have proper (detachable) tabs.
> > > kirc and konsole tabs that are detachable like knodes would
> > > be really useful.
> >
> > konsoles are (though they aren't really tabs) ... kde could
> > probably use a real tabbed-mdi widget with close boxes on the
> > tabs, an action menu, etc.
>
> konsoles are detachable? I didn't know - how would I rip of a
> console and have it in a second window? Certainly you can't rip
> them off with the mouse. You also cannot reorder them with the
> mouse (but using Ctrl-Shift-Left and Right, apparently - can't I
> drag and drop them in their tabbed bar?).

They are only detachable in CVS HEAD.

--
Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^