List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Start of the Great Control Center Indexing...
From:       "Poletti, Don" <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2002-05-31 15:06:38

Well I'll add what is under the "system" tab.

I think this section should go away and the items be moved to more
appropriate places. Why you ask. Well everyone on the list knows the
difference between the Linux system and kde. However user do not
and should not have to know. So what does "system" mean. Its
just a grab all. I didn't get all the down to the last widget in some
dialogs
because they tab with tabs and advanced buttons etc.

Just from the list I think its obvious is a big mess. I think we could
spend a year or two cleaning it up. Any suggestions on how to speed things
up?

Boot Manager:
  I don't think I need to list the widgets. This is on a red hat system
suffice
  to say it is a nicer interface to lilo over editing lilo.conf.

Date&Time:
   Calendar widget, Time widget, time zone selection.

Font Installer:  3 tabs "Fonts" "anti-alias" "Settings"
(I'll try not to comment on the horrible UI in places like these tab names)
  Tab Fonts:
       2 list boxes: Install from, Install To
       Preview text widget to see the font
  anti-alias:
       Config File (text widget with browse button)
       Exclude range check box plus 2 spinners
       use sub-pixel hinting (checkbox)
       advanced button
       save button
   Settings:
        Nice looking but confusing icon list. Works
        just like tabs so its like tabs within tabs (ugg!)
        The icons are "appearance", "Folder and files", install/uninstall",
                      "star Office", "System". The last is X system

Linux Kernel configuration:
       Sorry I'm not touching this one. Although from a UI perspective the
       user doesn't care what in the kernel or not

Login Manager

Printing manager:
    tool bar:
    icon list of printers
    4 tabs "Information" "Jobs" "Properties" "Instances"

XML RPC manager:
    Load on KDE startup (check Box)
    Port (spin box)