List:       kde-usability
Subject:    kcontrol modules: slider abuse needs cleaning
From:       Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodtele () mccammon ! ucsd ! edu>
Date:       2002-05-30 22:38:54

Hey guys!

I'd like to bring your attention to the flagrant abusing of sliders in
kcontrol.

This in turn leads to a great inconsistencies in the interface. Some precise
numerical values are set by numbers only, some have a slider on top (well, to
the right) of it. Why? I totally understand sliders from Slow to Fast. Why do
we need sliders to change numerical values like "Look&Feel / Win Behavior /
Focus / Moving / Snap Zones". I don't see this.

In addition, numerical values usually have little arrows to change them by
clicking, so that's not an excuse.

The following sliders are plain redundant in my view:

Look @ Feel:
   Panel :
      Position : Length
      Hiding : Automatic Hide : Delay in Sec
      Menus : Browser Menus
      Extensions : Automatic Hide
   Win Behavior:
      Focus :
      Moving : Snap Zones
      Advanced :
Personalization:
   Accessibility:
Power Control:
   Energy
Sound Mixer:

In short, I think there should be one method depending on the setting:
either numerical and precise, or sliding and rough. The policy must state:
NEVER BOTH! It's usually very simple to figure out which one is preferable.

This is the example where sliders is not present, and this is so nice and
simple: "Look & Feel / Launch Feedback"

"Network / News Ticker / General" has both good and bad examples of sliders.

Kcontrol should become just as clean as it is important. I mean
customisability and konqueror are usually cited in the first paragraphs
on PRs.

Sincerely,
Alexei