List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K Menu layout idea
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-05-30 8:23:06

On May 30, 2002 12:16 am, Eric Ellsworth wrote:
> before the PostScript generation process.  Now, hit me with the reasons why
> this isn't practical ;-)

i though SVG was xml based? well anyways...

if you do it at compile time, you would need to do this for every possible
language. and then you would need to detect which language the user is
running as and use the correct image. this ignores issues w/language for
which the equivelant word/phrase would be really long or languages that don't
work very well vertically ... unless you turn it on its side, i suppose...
though how that would look / work for the asian languages i'm not sure.

or you could do it at run time and just incur a nice speed penalty.

is it worth it?

> Sounds like a very good general solution - then you don't rely on the
> application's installer to trigger the dialog.   I think that the dialog
> should come up when you launch either the app you've installed, or the app
> it replaces.  Otherwise you're confronted with a random dialog saying.  "On
> the Internet Menu, QIRC has been replaced with BIRC, is this OK?", which
> makes no sense.

how would you:

 o know when the app that isn't the default has been started? esp with things
like the minicli ....
 o keep this information between kde sessions (assuming they don't run the app
right away)? you could keep it in a config file somewhere, but that seems
rather ponderous ...

>     Here's one way of laying that out:
>             The new app appears on the menu under the old app, but indented
> slightly and maybe in a different color.  When you launch either the new or
> old app, you get:
>
>     A new IRC Chat program has been installed.  Would you like to use:
>     o BIRC
>     o QIRC  (Current IRC Chat program)
>     o Both

hrm... and then you get a bloated menu with tons of apps if you decide to go
on an install spree ...

personally, i'd rather it just ask me when i'm installing. that's when i'm
thinking about it anyways. it would annoy me if i went to run it and it asked
me because i'm trying to RUN the app, not install/categorize it!

less issues to contend with in the code that way too..

and it would also feel kind of "magic", like the system was watching what i
was doing (which it would be) and that would just be Neat. heh.. ok, so i
need to get some sleep... ;-)

but that's all just me...

what seems more natural to others on the list: being asked immediately after
installing or immediately after running?

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein