List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: The art of not offering customization
From:       "Poletti, Don" <Don.Poletti () comverse ! com>
Date:       2002-05-29 16:56:40

One issue that this brings up, and has been mentioned by others. We
can adjust the individual dialogs till the cows come home but the
overall division needs to be fixed.

I think they're are 2 approaches.

1) Go as we are. Fix each dialog to simplify matters. then attack
the larger issue of what goes where. This has the advantage of
quicker results.

2) Start from "scratch" and layout the dialogs according to user
needs rather than from programming.

ok well maybe a third approach would work too. When redesigning
dialog we should be afraid to combine or re-order dialogs. I suggested
moving the background dialog into the desktop but didn't hear any feedback.

There have been a couple of people who mentioned the problem with
themes/styles/decoration. desktop/background and things in mouse
The should be tackled next.

I think the whole look-n-feel subdivision may be wrong. Everything about
a gui is look-n-feel. I'm sure what should be the major divisions or even
if we should have them but I think this list should start discussing the
big picture. There are a lot of repeat arguments because there is no
big pictures nor guidelines for getting us there.