List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail and addressing
From:       "Michael W. Collette" <metrol () metrol ! net>
Date:       2002-05-27 22:50:39

On Monday 27 May 2002 07:16 am, Andreas Mair wrote:
> > "Remove" may be a bit too strong a word for what the intended function
> > is. Perhaps more of a toolbar editing screen kind of implementation would
> > be more clear.  Like a simple "<--" button.
>
> I understand your oppinion, but I think a "<--" button should only be used
> if the "-->" buttons "move" the address from the left listview to the right
> one. Do others think "Remove" is too strong, too?

Good point, and I agree.  My only real concern was the possibility that a user
might connect "Remove" with removal from the address book itself, rather than
just the list.  Especially since both "New" and "Edit" are functions that do
edit the address book.

Most likely this isn't a critical point, and as a friend of mine likes to say,
"they'll get the joke".

> I thought a search field too. I only hadn't the time to include it yet.
> Choosing between addressbooks/LDAP will be thought of in detail, when they
> are integrated in KMail. At the moment I see two possiblities: a)
> integrating a drop-down list like Mozilla to let the user choose the
> addressbook or b) integrate other address sources as new trees in the left
> listview.

Could do a little of both.  A drop down box that can select a specific data
source, with one of the options being "All".  In the case of "All", provide a
tree view like the one in your example.

This would also address a possible issue with entries running off the edge of
the list.  Long names with long addresses would have a tougher time fitting
on screen when indented under a tree.

Along those same lines, I rather like the notion that someone with multiple
addresses would have them show up as a sub-tree.  In cases like this, it
probably isn't necessary to show their name next to each address on the left
hand listing.

> > Potentially much more time involved with addressing when large books or
> > LDAP get involved.
>
> Why?

This was referring to the case where you had to bring up the dialog for each
send-to field.  Your new example wouldn't suffer from the time delay of
bringing up the dialog box and reading the data sources 3 times.

> > Can't see everyone being sent out to in one place.
>
> Now you can.

Looks pretty good too.

> Please take a look at the attached file, I'd like to here your comments...

I'd love to go and buy an E-Mail client that's got such a cool address book
with it! :)

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."