List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker tooltip placement
From:       "Gordon Tyler" <gordon () doxxx ! net>
Date:       2002-05-21 18:34:19

I've also noticed some odd behaviour with the tooltips for Kicker buttons. I
have my Kicker setup a bit different from the default layout. I have a child
panel (I think that's the right term) on the right of the screen and I've
moved all the buttons from the left of the taskbar to this new child panel
so that I only have the taskbar, pager, logout/lock and clock on the bottom
panel.

Now I have often gotten Kicker into a situation where a tooltip is displayed
for a button in the child panel that I did not intentionally hover over
(i.e. I was just browsing the web using Konqueror) and it was quite
difficilt to make the tooltip go away (mutliple clicks and waving of mouse
before it went away).

Michael's point about the tooltip obscuring what it describes is good. One
option is have the tooltip always appear below the mouse cursor so that
whatever the mouse is directly pointing at is not obscured. A second option
would be to have the tooltips appear outside Kicker entirely, i.e. stuck to
the edge of the panel next to the button.