List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How we know we're on the right track....
From:       "Michael W. Collette" <metrol () metrol ! net>
Date:       2002-05-21 4:53:23

On Monday 20 May 2002 01:55 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> yes, and while we're at it let's remove owner/group file priveleges since
> they aren't on the other systems either. let's also make it crash more
> often, run everything as root and stop versioning libraries in a sane
> manner so as to provide familiar dll-hell.

Ouch.  Well, as much dripping sarcasm as this is filled with, that's what I
understand Lindows to be doing.  In order to make things "easier on the user"
you pretty much have a single user kind of setup.  Please correct me if my
impressions on this are misguided.

As for dumbing down the multiple desktops, no way, no how!  That is THE killer
feature of the KDE desktop as compared to Windows or Mac.  Only *nix has a
desktop that does this with elegance.  New users love that stuff!

One minor tweak folks might consider though.  Turn off the "Show windows from
all desktop" by default.  From what little I've seen to date it seems to be a
point of confusion for new users.  I'd leave the tweak in there, just not on
by default.

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."