List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Kicker tooltip placement
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-05-20 20:14:08

Hi yall,

	Just a quick idea on placement of tooltips, especially if Aaron's actively
working on a QLayout for Kicker.

Two thoughts:
	1) Currently tooltips appear a few pixels about where the mouse is.  This
means that the tooltip often covers half of the icon, which I think is
distracting and also makes it harder to associate a tooltip with the icon.
I'd be for placing the tooltip at the top edge of kicker (or really at the
edge of any toolbar), perhaps with a thin (gray) line down to where the
pointer is so you know what prompted the tooltip
	2) Tooltips appear almost immediately after you put the mouse over the icon.
I think a longer delay would also help the user look at the icon for a little
bit before the text comes up.

EE