List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Winow placement policy (#26046)
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland () hasos ! com>
Date:       2002-05-15 1:01:36

Hi Aaron!

> > Strange, because I think if there is justification to put a "random"
> > category into the policies, there is much more justification for a
> > "centered" and "top left" or any other non-random behaviour. Why anybody
> > would like random window-placement is also not quite clear to me. But
> > that's just MO, of course.
>
> because when i have 15 windows open i don't want them all in the same
> location of the screen stacked one atop the other... when you work with
> paper on your desk do you pile all the paper into on 8 1/2 x 11 area on
> your big open desk (haha) or do you spread it out so you can see things?

Are you really arguing that spreading your paper R-A-N-D-O-M-L-Y over your
desktop is a better alternative than having it stacked? Really? Seriously?

If we talk about real-desktop analogy, I think the window placement-policy is
analogeous to an "input" pile that co-workers use to pass you paper.

Just like I don't like coworkers putting paper randomly on my desktop, I don't
like programs popping windows up randomly.
Since there is absolutely no way a program/coworker can know where I want to
have my paper/window, I'd rather have it placed into a predictable place and
move it to the right position myself.

I do not vote for eliminating the other placement policies, I just say that
adding one or 2 (actually I think both top-left and center are very useful)
will help certain people and will hurt absolutely nobody, don't you think?

Roland

--
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.