List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Dir-popup
From:       "Christian A =?iso-8859-1?q?Str=F8mmen?= \[Number1/NumeroUno\]" <number1 () kde ! org
Date:       2002-05-13 19:31:27

On Monday 13 May 2002 20:57, Eric E scribbled down on a piece of electronic
paper:
> 	I think this is a great topic, and an excellent place for us usability
> folks to try to some consistency tuning.  I happen to have a few desires
> for handling of multimedia files and links in Konqueror that would fit
> nicely here.
>
> I have two cautionary reactions:
>
> 1) dealing with Konqueror is a big subject, so I'd suggest we decide the
> scope of what we're going to work on BEFORE launching into a full-scale
> evaluation of Konqui (which IMHO would likely never get completed, and
> hence will not do much for improving usability).

My main concern has been the general context menus that comes from konqueror
(or the appropriate kpart) and are visible in fileview in konqueror, the
desktop or any other part that implements it. I also have some visions for
konq itself, but I look at it as being a whole other topic.

> 2) Most of the work on the list is currently focused on polishing up
> kicker. In the interests of keeping focused, can I suggest that we set
> Konqueror-right clicks as the next topic, and work on it right after
> kicker?

Sounds good by me.  :)

> If you want to get your ideas down while they're still fresh, you
> might write this up into a usability report and submit it to
> usability.kde.org. Particularly useful would be if you could outline a sort
> of grand scheme for how you envision popups (I usually call them context
> menus) working.  Then we can apply that to particular cases, debate the
> merits, and prototype it all up.

I'll see if I can write down some of my ideas and thought and make them a bit
more general than the last mail which mainly went after just one of the
context menus. Having a guide for how context menus should and should not be
in konqueror could be good for future development too.

--
\ Christian A Strømmen /
\ Number1/NumeroUno @ Undernet - Email: number1@kde.org number1@realityx.net /