List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Taskbar=22?= vs. =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Task=20List=22?=
From:       whalesuit () softhome ! net
Date:       2002-05-12 3:15:30

Ian h writes:

> --- "Nathaniel W. Turner" <nate@houseofnate.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> A recent poster mentioned some confusion
>> differentiating between the "Taskbar"
>> and the "Panel".  I think this confusion may be
>> somewhat warranted in this
>> case, as a certain other popular desktop environment
>> uses the term "Taskbar"
>> to indicate the entire
>> thing-that-sits-on-the-screen-edge.

I think I was the original poster on this one.  Your point about the Windows
taskbar is a good one, and worth addressing.  At the time I was reflecting
on the fact that the Taskbar is an applet which can be removed from the
panel, as well as an extension (Kasbar) which can be outside the panel.  I
was on about two things.  One, the applet-extension distinction is
confusing, and two, it could be pretty easy for a novice to end up with no
taskbar whatsoever.

> As much as I like "Task List" it needs to have "bar"
> in the name. Beside object naming confusion it still
> is a "bar". At least its gotta be "Task List bar". I
> know I'm splitting hairs by saying as much as it is a
> better description, it still sounds a little strange.
>
> My own thought would be to call some variation of
> "Open App(lication)s Bar". Considering the bar is used
> to show what apps/app groups are open on the desktop.
Agree that its name needs to be self-explanatory to newbies, and I guess as
long as we have Menu-, Tool-, Title- bars, the Bar part is a good
continuation of the analogy.  It might be useful to hear from those who
speak languages other than English on the list as to how these names might
make it through i18n....

Good points though.

Cheers,

EE