List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker config - arrows on applet handles
From:       Andrea Negro <andrea_negro () tin ! it>
Date:       2002-05-09 21:31:38

Alle 22:48, giovedì 9 maggio 2002, Eric E ha scritto:
> Hi all,
> 	Continuing the excellent work that we're doing scrubbing over
> kicker, I'd like to revisit the subject of the applet handles.
Beautiful... I was just thinking about them right now! :)

> As I understand it, the arrows were added after a long (an seemingly
>[...]
> Having arrows around just add something else to click on mistakenly.
>
> 	Kicker is the front door to KDE, and we want to the focus to be on
> using it, not just configuring it.  We need to make configuration
> easy when you want to do it, but otherwise keep it out of the way.
I agree... when I found a panel layout I like, usually I do not change
it anymore for a long time. And makes me nervous having all the time
the arrows, which actually I never use. And they make the panel
confusing.

> So what do I propose instead:
> With respect to arrows:
> 	a) Hide them by default.  If they must be available to those who
> think they're great, make an rc-file or advanced type option.
Uhm, I think would be a better thing having them *enabled* by default.
This because a newby would face the panel having an obvious way to use
applets. But if you are, let's say, a power user, is matter of seconds
to disable the arrows forever, and you obviously know where to restore
them if needed. But for sure, I'd like a way to turn them off, because
i like clean panels! :)

> [...]
> With respect to the arrow's menus :
> Remove the "KPanel" menu item from each applet's configuration menu.
> This menu is tremendously confusing - from clicking on a little arrow
> above an applet handle, I'm suddenly navigating a hierarchy of menus
> about configuring the panel.  In fact, I'd be just fine if the menu
> had only "Move", "Remove", and "Configure", with configure sending
> you to the appropriate tab of kicker kcm.
I agree. I have a little panel, and have 5 ways to access the kpanel
config, plus RBM everywhere on the panel, plus the item in kmenu... I
think this is very redundant. If I center the little arrows, it is
obvious I want to edit applets, not the panel itself. Ok for the right
click shortcut.

- --
Kind Regards,
Andrea Negro