List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Annoyence and Confusion
From:       Ian h <arcaneone () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-05-09 17:46:23

I would like to bring up two issues

1. Unpredictable frame selection
This is more of a pet peeve that could really
frustrate people. The problem mainly concerns which
frame is automaticly scrollable. One part is that
there is no frame is select by defualt. In my opinion
it should be the left most as that is commonly used by
most websites to display the bulk of their
information. Though the selection order could easily
be made configurable i.e Top -> right -> left ->
bottom or the reverse order.  If the site has only one
frame it should be selected when the browser window
is.

Even when I manually select a frame it is commonly
unselected when come back the same instance of the
browser

2. Panel vs Taskbar
There needs to a better differensiation between the
two concepts. This often confuses me which is which
and I consider myself a power user. I'm really not
sure what modified/new names would clear things up.

2a. Placing the taskbar in a consistent way
This is a problem of complete inconsistency. Even if
the taskbar (one with the open apps) is set to the top
or bottom of the screen its position ends up becoming
relative to the Panel(app launcher). For example I
like to have my Panel on the bottom of the screen with
the taskbar right above it. There is no way to do this
in the configuration menus. What I have to is move
both bars to the top and the Panel and then the
taskbar. This has work the same way since 2.0 (I'm
running 3.0.1). You shouldn't have to play games with
menu bar to do this.

2b. Different Configurations options in different
places for the taskbar.
I realize may have been done to simplify things a bit
but it just plain weird. At least put a "Advanced" or
something button pointing or explaining to show the
full settings so people don't have poke around to find
them them. I think its still a good idea to normally
to keep advanced settings hidden

While on the subject of setting in general. Advance
setting, such as those commonly used by "power users",
should be normally hidden. This cuts down exstraineus
setting that the average user could care less about
and have less of a chance of breaking things. All
while saving space and keeping the hight level of
tweakablitily power users expect.