List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Menu Bug: Konqueror with KWrite Plugin
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-04-21 1:05:59

On May 2, 2002 08:56 pm, Irwin wrote:

> This applies to KDE 3.0.
>
> If you load a text file with KWrite as a Plugin in Konqueror, you'll notice
> that KWrite imports some of its menus into Konqueror's.
>
> First of all, the practice of dynamically changing the menus is... well, in
> my opinion, questionable.  We can debate this one.

it's actually a wonderful idea. the problem is that you need to get away from
the concept of the application being the context. the DATA is the context,
and therefore the application itself should react to the data, albeit in a
consistent manner. so every time you view a text file you should get the same
behaviours. which is what happens. kparts is a rather brilliant thing, even
if it does require a slight adjustment in thinking on the part of users used
to less capable systems ;-)

> The real bug is that the menu item "Bookmarks" gets duplicated: one for
> Konqueror's URL bookmarks, and one for KWrite's flagged text locations.  So
> you have a menu bar with two Bookmark entries.
>
> The obvious cop out fix for this is to rename all of the applications that
> use "Bookmark" to save a place in a text file to something else
> (placeholder?  Or just "Mark" rather than "Bookmark"?).

since the part is read only in konqueror, i'd suggest that the REAL fix is to
not show those menu items to do with editing (e.g. bookmark) when the part is
loaded read only.

--
Aaron J. Seigo