List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kicker kcm: position tab
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-04-28 11:17:26

On Thursday 25 April 2002 21:12, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On April 25, 2002 12:19 pm, Simon Edwards wrote:
> > You can probably guess what I'm going to say now... Perhaps being able to
> > drag the panel around the screen is too much trouble than what it is
> > worth. Here's a summary of the points that you guys have made, plus my
> > own:

>  o it mimicks the behaviour of toolbars
>  o may users are used to it
>  o it is very convenient once you know it exists

Given those points above, I don't expect to see this feature leaving anytime
soon.

>  o the manhatten length should prevent (most) accidental dragging

Is this a recent change to the CVS after KDE3?

I'm using a fairly stock KDE3 install here, and what I found is that:

* There are very few place on the panel where you can drag it. I only found
one. The hide button(!!!). Needless to say, it should _not_ be possible to
move the panel by dragging the hide button!.

* The bottom right corner is considered to mean the right edge!!!

* The threshold you have to drag past before you get panel moving behaviour is
way too low.

> what really gets me:
>  o child panels can't be dragged around (consistency!)
>  o there is no "Move" item in the RMB menu

>  o the black rectangle that shows where you are moving it is VERY hard to
> see

True, I think it is actually XOR.

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/