List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Fwd: Re: kicker kcm: menus tab
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-04-26 14:10:01

Subject: Re: kicker kcm: menus tab
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:22:57 -0600
From: "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@olympusproject.org>
To: Simon Edwards <simon@simonzone.com>

On April 25, 2002 12:43 pm, you wrote:
> > o the menu item format section contains a new option allowing the menus
> > to be displayed as Name (Title). this does not current exist but should
> > be easy to implement. if we decide to keep this new option, i'll add the
> > code to do it.
>
> You mean "Name (description)". :)

yes =)

> it sounds like a good idea. Some of the
> more recent linux distros are using verbose menu names now also...

yep.. GNOME2 will also have the same mechanism. go standardization!

> >  o the max # of items widget set is standardized for both the Browser
> > Menu and the Quick Start
>
> Concerning the sliders and spin boxes. I'm not sure if you just haven't had
> time yet, but the sliders are a bit of a usabilty PITA without some labels.

i've removed both the sliders. they are superfluous, as you note.

> In "Browser Menus", isn't the "Maximum number of entries" just an ugly hack
> to get around the problem that no-one has a good way of handling lots of
> items in a menu?

IIRC, yes. so we have the hack until someone gets a bright idea.

> > overall, there are 4 less widgets, one new option and a lot less
> > redundancy. the wording still needs work, though.
>
> Maybe "Quick Start" should be "Quick start menu items". clearer? I'm not

better. i really didn't like that label at all but didn't think of anything
that was better immediately. i knew someone would though =)

> Another suggestion:
> ------------
> Shows:
> [*] Most recently used menu items.
> [ ] Most frequently used menu items.
> ------------

i don't think this works for i18n. i originally had that in there and
 thought, "uh-oh. how are they going to translate this properly?" not being
 sure, i defaulted to the safe "everythin that belongs to the phrase is in
 the same label"

> Also, a slider for "Maximum number of entries"  seems like overkill to me.

agreed. i've turfed it.

> (Would also drop the word 'maximum', it doesn't really add much).

there may be fewer entries, but never more. therefore 'maximum'. ?

--
Aaron Seigo

Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/

["menutab.ui" (application/x-designer)]