List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kicker kcm: menus tab
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-04-25 18:43:52

> o the menu item format section contains a new option allowing the menus to
> be displayed as Name (Title). this does not current exist but should be
> easy to implement. if we decide to keep this new option, i'll add the code
> to do it.

You mean "Name (description)". :) it sounds like a good idea. Some of the more
recent linux distros are using verbose menu names now also...

>  o the max # of items widget set is standardized for both the Browser Menu
> and the Quick Start

Concerning the sliders and spin boxes. I'm not sure if you just haven't had
time yet, but the sliders are a bit of a usabilty PITA without some labels.
The user is expected to grab the slider with the mouse and then at the same
time drag it without looking, but instead looking at the spin box that is
located at the other end of the window...

In "Browser Menus", isn't the "Maximum number of entries" just an ugly hack to
get around the problem that no-one has a good way of handling lots of items
in a menu?

> overall, there are 4 less widgets, one new option and a lot less
> redundancy. the wording still needs work, though.

Maybe "Quick Start" should be "Quick start menu items". clearer? I'm not sure
if the common user really knows what the "Quick Start" thing really is. (I'm
know my GF doesn't. When items disappear from the quick start menu, she
complains to me that I've screwed around with the computer, and that she
can't get stuff done).

Another suggestion:
------------
Shows:
[*] Most recently used menu items.
[ ] Most frequently used menu items.

Also, a slider for "Maximum number of entries"  seems like overkill to me.
(Would also drop the word 'maximum', it doesn't really add much).

Other wise, your design is a good improvement. The current KDE 3 one is really
quite shameful now that I look at it...

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/