List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Kicker Hiding Tab
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-04-23 8:05:50

On April 22, 2002 05:47 pm, you wrote:
> Lemme know what you think.

not bad. it is deffinitely on the way to being a huge improvement over the
current UI.

some notes:

 o all text that belongs together must reside in the _same_ UI element (label,
checkbox, etc) for translation

 o avoiding personal pronouns is best since it may not always be the user that
does something (e.g. a program may move the mouse pointer, not the user)

 o less words is more. other languages tend to be more verbose than english,
not to mention longer sentences are harder (time and skill wise) to translate
than shorter ones

 o Qt's layouts are much more powerful than they often credit for. notice how
in the attached revision of your UI file that i use only 4 layouts: one in
each group box and one in the main form itself. play with it a bit (and the
spacers) to see how that works.

 o using the signal/slot connector you can easily connect the toggle(bool)
signal to the setEnabled(bool) slot to make children widgets enable/disable
along with their parent checkbox/radio. i was able to get every child widget
to work perfectly except one (which we'll have to take care of in the code
itself, no biggy) using this method.

 o spinboxes have the cool ability to allow the defining of prefixes and
suffixes, along with "special" text that appears when the value equals 0. in
this case i used "seconds" as a suffix and "Immediately" as the special text.

great progress, though!

let me know what you think of my touch ups. i've purposefully left out key
accells since i find that is much easier to do looking at it loaded in
kcontrol (where there are many, many key accells already taken). anyways,
once we've got a few more things settled out we can move to the next step:
integrating the new UI with the code. =)

p.s. screenshots taken in the default KDE theme are prefered. it makes
comparisons easier and more consistent with what your average KDE user will
see. you can easily accomplish this in designer by going under the "Preview"
button and selecting "HighColor Style".

--
Aaron Seigo

[" " (application/x-designer)]