List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Strange things...
From:       antialias <vukman () dbmail ! dk>
Date:       2002-04-21 12:56:13

On Sunday 21 April 2002 01:46 pm, Thomas Schilling wrote:
>I agree. also we need not optimized icons to look best in 16x16.

I don't understand this. If they are not optimized how they would look best in
16x16.

>Your console icon has the problems that in small sizes you still can't
>recognize that it is a console ....

Better than default one. I agree that the '>' can be bigger as you suggested
in your attached icon. But that is technical question and easy to accomplish.

>and in bigger sizes it is too similar to the actual console icon...

No it isn't. Konsole application icon has a 'shell' as an element, and my mime
shell icon doesn't (and has the paper as 'background').

>Also in small sizes it should still be clear that it's a document.

Of course. 16x16 sizes have to have simple elements, no frames (borders), for
shell mime icon just a sheet of paper and a black window (which should be
bigger then default one).

>concersing your other icons:
>binary: too similar to the console
>color-scheme: hard to recognize, also two much white used
>picture: too complex
>log: looks more like a chart and also too much like console
>real player: as ante said: the border is bad
>music file: too complex (why that difficult?-- just use some notes)
>netscape: they did so much to get their corporate identity and you
>omit the 'N'. I think just the 'N' would be significant enough
>movie: ok, bur again the frame

You've forgotten what I wrote in my first e-mail when I started this thread:
Don't look at elements, they will not look as on that screenshot, but give me
your respons about the main design which is:
*Elements in mimetype icons are bigger than in default mimetype set'.
And your attached screenshot of mimeshell icon 16x16 shows that you get better
'visibility & usability' when you do that. Just compare your icon and default
one.

>Take a look at everaldos work (esp.: colorset, music, ...)

Thanks for advice, but rather not. All credits to everaldo for 'crystalizing'
the default KDE icon set, and make it more 'attractive', but I don't see
anything new there. Folders are taken from iKons icon-theme (and IMHO they
are uglier then original ones). A few weeks ago he suggested a 'new folder'
as default one, and I was completely disappointed because he just copied a
folder from one of a MacOSX icons themes. Here is the link to the original
artwork:
http://www.iconfactory.com/preview.asp?type=ware&kind=osx&id=125

All other icons in his 'Crystal' icon theme is actually bluish default KDE
hicolor icon theme with 'crystal (AKA 'World of Aqua' - see Iconfactory)'
effect.

regards

antialias