Don't quite you on user levels, Aaron. We may not want to code them into the functioning of the OS, but we do ha= ve to=20 have a framework of what level of user will use what kind of option to ma= ke=20 good decisions about where they go. Maybe a rubric of usability-related skills, which we could use to evaluat= e=20 what the target audience for an app/feature/option is? EE On Monday 18 February 2002 05:56 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > hi... > > > Here's an idea, why don't we ask the user in their first login how > > familiar they are with KDE? This would set an option that an applica= tion > > could check, and the more advanced the user is, the more options that > > would be available to him/her. We would need to make sure that optio= n is > > pretty visible though. This way we could satisfy both power users and > > novices. > > user levels don't work because someone may be well versed in one thing,= but > completely lost in another rendering a single "how much do you know?" > question meaningless. it also makes it more difficult (nearly impossibl= e) > for novices to learn the more useful/powerful/advanced features since t= hey > are rendered invisible. > > instead of crippling the interface, options need to be properly organiz= ed > and presented in the first place. > > this may include rewording descriptions, reorganzing option groupings, > redefining how the user sets or interacts with a given option, moving s= ome > options to "advanced" tabs, etc.. > > specific suggestions for specific configuration dialogs would be most > useful in accomplishing this. _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability