List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How to Organize Control Centre Stuff
From:       Wilco Greven <greven () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-21 11:30:02

On Thursday 21 February 2002 04:04, Emerald Arcana wrote:
> It's been forever since I've taken a look at the Control Centre.  How many
> options are there?
>
> The main thing:
>
> Is it TRULY necessary to have a heirarchy in the Control Panel?  If people
> never think to find "Mouse" under Peripherals, maybe we can just get rid of
> peripherals and just have a straight list of Control Centre modules.  There
> might be an issue if the list is really long (say, over 20 items) since it
> wouldn't fit on small screens.  However, it WOULD be easier to browse
> because it would be a list you could scan quickly from top to bottom.
> (It's certainly easier than having to collapse each subtree to look at
> what's inside).

How can you come up with such a suggestion if you don't even use KControl?
There are almost 100 items in the list, so removing the hierarchy would
definitely not be a good idea.

Maybe we can use some ideas from how the way you find information in a book. A
book usually has a contents and an index. A book with a good index lets me
quickly find the information I'm looking for. Now KControl already has a
contents and an index. The book's contents corresponds to KControl's index.
The index corresponds to KControl's search tab. The problem is that our users
don't use the search tab. Maybe it should be visible when KControl starts up.

> Maybe Jono can write this one down as a "possible solution".  We'd have to
> user-test this one, though.  (It feels like the usability of the Control
> Centre has beem beaten to death, resurrected, and then beaten to death
> again many, many times.)

Wilco