List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability Board
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobacon_lists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-20 9:52:23

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 3:36 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi..
>
> > 	- Reports are written, but we need developers to implement these
> > changes. I.e - we need a set of developers willing to implement agreed
> > usability defects.
>
> i'm active in implementing fixes to issues raised on this list. but i have
> no desire what-so-ever to be on a board or part of any other formal
> organization. i did not get involved with kde development to end up on
> committees, or answer to them. i get enough of that at work, the LUG i am a
> member of, etc...
>
> KDE itself is well regulated by various structures that have been put in
> place to keep things in order, e.g. the release maintainer, release
> schedules, rules on binary compatibility, message and feature freezes,
> application/library maintainers, cvs accounts, etc ... none of this
> requires voting, committees, boards, or anything else of the sort. it
> allows for a relaxed, comfortable and very organic development style.
>
> why should usability be treated differently than any other aspect of KDE
> development? what exactly would this board provide that couldn't be
> accomplished without one? how will this board improve the current state of
> affairs?
>
> i would far rather see us simply allow those who are best for the job show
> they are best for the job by letting them actually do the job, just like in
> the rest of KDE ...
>
> creating a board or any other sort of beaurocratic structure doesn't
> magically make something better. if anything, such formalizations cause an
> increase in overhead, tax the already precious amount of time available,
> and open the doors for silly conflicts and politics.
>
> i think a board, especially one that is voted in, is a particularly poor
> idea.

Some valid points Aaron, and the last thing I want to do is involve a level of
beaurocratic fluff. All I was concerened about was how we can make best us of
our resources.

I suspect Marten will have some nifty features on the site that can assist in
how the project is run. Maybe the need for a board is not so important after
all.

	Jono