List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: App of the week: Calculator
From:       Benjamin Meyer <icefox () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2002-02-12 13:18:33

On Monday 11 February 2002 03:42 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 11, 2002 07:15 am, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > -First off is this app: KCalc, KCalculator or Calculator?  This should be
> > the same for the exe, help, caption and discription.
>
> it is kcalc ... the only place i see it referred to differently is in the
> KMenu where it is called "Calculator". and i think that might be a good
> name for it there...
>
> > -Do you think it needs a Program/Help menu on the top?  With so many
> > buttons it is a pain to to get to the Configure/Help button via the
> > keyboard.
>
> help (and quit) can be accessed via the standard key accells ... configure
> is another matter and should probably have a key combo assign. a quick look
> shows Alt-U is available (e.g. "Config&ure") ...
>
> a menubar would look rather silly on a calculator IMO, especially since it
> wouldn't have much of anything in it. Quit, Configure, Help, About ...
> everything else is in the main interface, even including Configure and
> Help.

Many of the games don't have much more then this.

> > Another rason to do this would be to remove the About tab from
> > the configure dialog and make it like the rest of the kde apps.
>
> i don't think this is a requirement in the style guide (at least i haven't
> read about it?) and this one minor concession allows keeping the calculator
> interface clean ... functionality first.
>
> > -The Display Font dialog should just be a button that pulls up the KDE
> > Font dialog.
>
> the display font tab in the config dialog belongs in the config dialog and
> uses the standard kde font selector widget, which the kde font dialog
> merely wraps.

That is what I figured, but it still looks real out of place.  Putting
something similar to what other configure dialogs would be better. (Font: foo
[change button])

> > -The Colors Dialog isn't the best, this could be totally reworked.
>
> i've replaced it with a series of labels and kcolorbuttons ...  is this
> what you had in mind as well? it isn't as aethetically pleasing, though i
> suppose it might be more usable ...
>
> > -There is a Settings tab in Configuration.  Change this to General at
> > least.
>
>  -The "Precision:" option shouldn't have a ":" and the spin box could
>
> > have " places" as the appended text to make that more clear.
> > -The layout for the Settings tab has something wrong with it.  The spin
> > boxes wont go to the far right...
>
> this entire tab needs to be layed out different IMO.. the two radio buttons
> should be in a box to show they are related, for example.
>
> > -Just curius but when it "beeps" does it call qApp->beep() if not then
> > change.
>
> it uses the standard KDENotifyClient, which is the correct behaviour.
>
> > -It seems like it is in active development and so the copyright
> > date should be extended to 2002 (is this right?)
>
> yes
>
> i've got a patch that addresses all the above issues save the relayout of
> the General conig tab as well as changing the config dialog caption to
> "Configure KCalc" ... i can post it once i'm done the General layout and
> others have suggested changes...

Cool a patch!  Koodos to you.  Note: Don't set the configure caption.  That
is for the stdconfigure call to do. (right? someone does it...)

-Benjamin Meyer