List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KJolts
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-01-26 7:20:02

hi...

> IMHO, usability problems should be reported to bugs.kde.org.

some usability issues are indeed bugs, but some are most deffinitely not
bugs. at least not in the sense that i think of bugs as a developer.
having a "Usability" categorization on bugs.kde.org as there is for Grave,
Crashes, Normal, Wishlist, etc would help bridge this problem, though this
ignores the fact that there are different severities of usability issues.

but even then there are still usability issues that IMO would be a waste of
the bug system's resources: e.g. key accels missing in dialogs. this is a
huge pet peeve of mine but i'd rather not have the bugs system filled to the
gills with "No key accell on label Foo in dialog Bar in application
KSomething".

having a usability report is a much more efficient way to address usability
issues than having a bunch of bugs in kde.bugs.org.

that said, bugs that are actually uncovered during a usability study (such as
crashes) ought to be reported via the bug system and perhaps left out of the
usability report altogether. Jennifer's document on rating usability bugs
recognizes this as well and calls these items "Defects".

> The usability maintainer for each app then could collate all the reports
> and produce a report for the app maintainer.

this is assuming that the app maintainer cares about usability or will act on
the reports. i think it would be much more effective if the usability project
had its own group of hackers that simply went around adressing usability
report issues. these usability hackers would use usability reports as their
roadmap and work with app maintainers (where/when available) to getting the
fixes applied...

personally, i am very much in favour of the usability project having its own
repository of usability bugs and think that having standalone reports
written in HTML is not as effective as it could/should be.

my question to the group is, which would be a more desired system:

 a) use bugs.kde.org
 b) have a web based reporting system at usability.kde.org specifically for
creating/tracking usability issues
 c) a KDE app to help write usability reports that saves reports as XML
and/or HTML
 c) stick with writing standalone HTML files by hand

--
Aaron Seigo