List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A radical idea
From:       Eric E <whalesuit () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-14 1:34:04

This seems like an interesting point, but I'm not sure we should devote a
whole of energy to the *nix file system as it currently exists, because:

a) Because of the many computers we use during a day, distributed filesystems
are the next logical step.  I already wish KDE had a simple interface to
distributed filesystems (if there were a simple way to set up fs
synchronization in KDE or Konqi, that would be brilliant).  Put simply, I
just want to "save" my work, and know that I can get at that from lots of
places, under lots of circumstances, on lots of platforms.

b) There are (well, were) long debates on the kde-look list about metadata,
and many people are interested in relational-database-oriented filesystems.
So the mapping you describe could just a be a field in the database or
metadata, which displays as you like it to.  These are more powerful
approaches to the filesystem.  I would also love it if I could summon up a
"view" of certain elements of my filesystem in Konqi, and refresh that view
with a simple requerying....

All that said, a really simple starter solution with Konqi would be to make
it easy to distribute and install a set of .kdedesktop files for the Sidebar
that does all the mapping that Alistair described, so these things appear
Konqi the way he describes.

Cheers,

Eric