List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: GUI choice, opinion requested
From:       Adrian Bool <aid () vianw ! net>
Date:       2001-11-14 15:28:36

On Wednesday 14 Nov 2001 2:40 pm, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> I have to make a choice for a GUI component of kprinter. It concerns the
> widget containing the file list to be printed. I converted it to a
> KListView, but as it would take more space, I wonder if I couldn't put
> it at the same level then the "Copies" options. The 2 possibilities are:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/kdeprint/snapshot1.png
> http://www.geocities.com/kdeprint/snapshot2.png
>
> Which one is better in term of look and usability?

It depends upon how it works..

If you use the Printer name to select the of files to be displayed for that
particular printer in the Path/Type section, then it should be number 1 - as
the data flow goes downwards...

If the Path/Type info displays all current jobs, and when you select a job it
displays the corresponding  Printer info - then it should be number 2...

Note on number 1 - things would get awkward assuming that the "copies" and
"schedule" info can be different for each job.  You kinda need to select a
job and then data on a non-visible tab changes.  When loking at the copies
data you can't (at the same time) see which job it is refering to - which
doesn't feel very nice.

What is the purpose of this box, to configure printers or to manage print
queues?

Regards,

aid