List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A radical idea
From:       Alistair Davidson <lord_inh () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-13 22:54:17

Jim Conner wrote:

> This can be done using soft-links and having a browser only show those
> soft-linked directories and files.  Granted this may be a good thing for some
> new user to have, but current linux users would find it annoying.

It would definitely have to be an option rather than a set-in-stone type thing.

> There might be
> some technical difficulties with this as well.  I'm not sure, but I think
> that soft-linked files take up i-nodes on the filesystem and you could run
> out of i-nodes before you run out of space.  Also, there are limitations on
> soft-linking.  Some things can't be soft-linked.  I can't remember what off
> the top of my head.

I expected there would be technical issues, but I decided that it would be
good to at least stimulate some discussion in this area. We need to think
outside the 'unix' box.

> One thing new users have to realize is that linux is a
> different way of thinking and doing stuff than other OSes, whether it be
> windows or mac.  Once they get past that hurdle, they will be much happier
> and with a good desktop such as KDE, that hurdle is easier to make.

Ugh. Our aim should be that the user doesn't have to learn a 'different way of
doing things', even if they've never used a computer before.

--
Alistair Davidson
Read my comic, Bizmatch! http://www.altgeek.org/lord_inh/comic/index.html