List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A radical idea
From:       Jim Conner <jconner83 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-13 17:54:43

This can be done using soft-links and having a browser only show those
soft-linked directories and files.  Granted this may be a good thing for some
new user to have, but current linux users would find it annoying.  I just
wish that all distros would adhere to the LSB standard that tells them what
to put where in the existing directories.  Making changes like this would go
beyond the scope of KDE and would probably be a new distro.  There might be
some technical difficulties with this as well.  I'm not sure, but I think
that soft-linked files take up i-nodes on the filesystem and you could run
out of i-nodes before you run out of space.  Also, there are limitations on
soft-linking.  Some things can't be soft-linked.  I can't remember what off
the top of my head.  One thing new users have to realize is that linux is a
different way of thinking and doing stuff than other OSes, whether it be
windows or mac.  Once they get past that hurdle, they will be much happier
and with a good desktop such as KDE, that hurdle is easier to make.

Jim

On Monday, November 12, 2001 8:54, Seth Nickell wrote:
<snip>
> /Applications  <- (GUI apps *with icons, and descriptive names*)
> /Applications/Games
> /Applications/Internet
> /Applications/Office
> /Applications/...etc...
> /Development/
> /Development/Headers
> /Development/Source Code
> /Development/Tools
> /Devices <- "mnt"
> /Documentation <- (Documentation for GUI apps)
> /Documentation/Manuals
> /Home <- (a lot of other possible names, but Home is fine)
> /Storage
<snip>
> Still not perfect, but a *LOT* better than the existing state. And it
> works just as well for multi-user purposes: same seperation of data, and
> the same ability to mount different things in from different devices at
> different times. For example, there's no reason "/boot" has to be at the
> root heirarchy, its silly because its hardly ever used. Putting it in a
> system directory actually makes more sense, even from a non-usability
> perspective.
<snip>

--

 12:42pm  up 3 days,  3:39,  2 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.11, 0.09