List:       kde-usability
Subject:    KDE main menu
From:       David Hugh-Jones <david () zaygo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-11 11:50:44

I noticed from the Gnome usability study that a lot of users got confused
with the size and complexity of the main menu.

Has there been any discussion of what should be in the main menu WRT
usability for new users?

I use Mandrake, which plays around with the menu, inserting butt ugly icons
etc., so I may not be in a good position to judge what the current state of
play is. Anyway, my thoughts:

1. An option, on by default, to have large size menu items. (Cf. Windows). I
guess this would require some subclassing of the KDE menu class.

2. A "find file" option in the menu. (See the Gnome study - people couldn't
find the find!)

3. Consider moving applications to a separate submenu. This could be
annoying, but my thought is that advanced users can edit the menu to have
their favourite appmenus in the main menu.

bw
--
Dave