List:       kde-telepathy
Subject:    Re: Models Moving Plan
From:       Aleix Pol <aleixpol () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-01-24 23:20:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM, David Edmundson <david@davidedmundson.co.uk
> wrote:

> We are about to enter phase 6
>
> "6 - Share roles enum and names between ContactListModel (ours) and the
> one from KPeople"
>
> Question 1:
>
> Mck182 has written a translationIdentityProxy that converts
> PersonsRoles to KTp roles.
> This allows KPeople to do it's own thing, whilst co-existing with KTp code.
>
> Is this a quick hack, or a good medium-long term solution?
>
> Question 2:
>
> Roles are currently in the old class ContactsModel, I propose making a
> KTp types.h file and having all roles as an enum there. Is this a good
> idea?
>
> Question 3:
>
> There are a lot of roles that we don't need in the old model. I want
> this list reduced to what we actually need and use, how should we go
> about doing this?
>
> Question 4:
>
> Currently in the model we sometimes expose thing in mulltiple ways, In
> particular presence. There are 5 roles for presence currently:
>
>         PresenceRole,   ( a Tp::Presence object)
>         PresenceIconRole, (icon for this presence type)
>         PresenceStatusRole, (string)
>         PresenceTypeRole, (presence type enum)
>         PresenceMessageRole, (string)
>
> Is this a bad thing? Given models are for portability should we drop
> the PresenceRole? Should we drop all other 4 and leave the logic up to
> the UI?

Q1/Q2:
I like using the identity model in the KTP side. I'd say that we should aim
that some software using KPeople, only should link to KPeople. Adding a
ktptypes.h include would add a weird dependency outside. I don't think it
makes sense to have such an include within ktp, but it could be useful.

Q3/Q4:
That breaks ABI, so it shouldn't happen. If you can break it I'd say it
should be for a more important reason than that.
Is that a big problem for the ContactsModel?

Hope this helps...
Aleix