List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    [kde-solaris] Compile options
From:       Brian Foddy <brian.foddy () nwa ! com>
Date:       2001-09-04 15:14:54

I've tried several build approaches, some better than others.

I would really like to be able to build kde on the Sun Forte Workshop
compiler.  I am able to build QT231.  I started into KDELIBS
and waded through a couple simple compile errors, but things started
getting deeper and deeper and decided to bail out.  I will try it
again with KDE 2.2.1 and the patch 2 of the compiler (we have
ver 6.1).

So I'm back to gcc.  I'm trying to build now with the -mv8
option as we have all Ultra/UltraII cpus.
Question:  does anyone know how much better code gcc will produce
with this option?  I know on the Intel side, the cpu arch options
can significantly change performance.  Any experience with Sparc and
gcc?

Long-term it would be nice to get back to the Sun compiler,
I hear its a lot better at Ultra optimization, but that may
not be verifiable.

Anyone else have experience with these issues?

Brian