List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    [kde-solaris] kde 2.1.1
From:       Paul Mitcheson <paul.mitcheson () ic ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-08-28 22:12:24

Hi everyone,

I am new to Solaris, and this list, and am running Sol 8 on my nice new
Ultra 10.

Anyway, I have installed kde 2.1.1 and certain things fail.

1. Noatun simply won't work for me.  It crashes as soon as the window is
drawn.
2. The user manager doesn't seem to work.
3. Most of the entries under Control Center|Information aren't
implemented.
4. System|KDE System Control causes control center to crash.
5. KDE system guard doesn't work.

I hope this doesn't sound like I am moaning - I'm not, the rest of KDE
seems to work pretty good on Solaris, but these other features work fine
on my Linux machines.

Can someone tell me how many of these things have been fixed in 2.2?

I am not intending to start a flame war in any way, but does anyone have
any insight why Sun is going with Gnome instead of KDE.  KDE is moving
ahead *so* quickly, while GNOME development seems more steady.  And it
seems like there isn't that much to do to make KDE perfect on Solaris.

Regards,

Paul
      .---.
     /     \