List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    Re: [kde-solaris] KDE Solaris: status update
From:       Sunil <funtoos () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-11-15 19:24:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

given the incompatibilities that can result for a package compiled with gnu c++ \
compiler while its deps are compiled with sun studio c++ compiler or vice versa, \
isn't it prudent to build the whole KDE and its deps with gnu compiler? What is it \
that sun studio compiler brings to the table as far as KDE desktop is concerned? I \
don't think, and hope, its the performance because I have run gnu compiled kde and \
Stefan's KDE 3.4 on the same hardware and found no difference in day-to-day use of \
KDE at all. Both startup about in the same time. Both launch apps in about the same \
time. The GUI responsiveness feels the same.

I think if it means greater compatibility with other gnu programs, KDE and its deps \
are better compiled with gnu compiler.

just my 2 cents.

-Sunil