List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    [kde-solaris] why is Xsun removing /tmp/.ICE-unix
From:       Willi Burmeister <wib () cs ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       2006-09-03 14:43:33

Hi,

we have just updated all of our SunRay servers from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10.

Most of our people are using KDE as desktop and this means the need write
access to /tmp/.ICE-unix. KDE creates this directory during startup, but
with wrong permissions. It's only writeable by the current user. Obviously
this is a problem on the SunRay server.

Before the update I solved this with a small script called during startup:

  mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix
  chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix

this worked without any problems.

With Solaris 10 this directory ist removed any time Xsun is restarted :-(

At a start I have created a cron job running every two minutes to recreate
the directory with the right permissions. This is a very silly workaround.

I think this is a bug, but maybe there a any good reasons for this behaviour.
Does anyone have an explanation for this? Or do I have to open a call?

Willi

P.S. also posted in comp.unix.solaris