List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    [kde-solaris] Re: kde-solaris Digest, Vol 19, Issue 2
From:       ken mays <maybird1776 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-10-02 14:03:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

My point is only in the documentation of processes and procedures used to \
port/compile/package KDE 3.3.0 on Solaris platforms. Debian does this with their QA \
program, so it would be nice to see it done elsewhere.

Blastwave has their standards and most of their packages is optimized for UltraSPARC2 \
and higher (or the sun4u platforms). Sun dropped support for the sun4m platforms. I \
have a SPARCstation 5 using Solaris 8 so I can test any KDE build with GCC or Sun \
Studio. I see NO problem in supporting users using sun4m platforms with a copy of KDE \
3.3.0.

I hope we just think of a customer base of people wanting a copy of KDE 3.3.0 built \
with Sun Studio and GCC3 since we have a C++ ABI issue today. Also, we have to \
consider distributors having their way of packaging things and team of people doing \
it. My point is on consistent documentation of porting KDE 3.3.x to Solaris - not on \
compiler choices. Also, that we support KDE 3.2.3/3.3.0 on Solaris x86 just as well \
as we do on Solaris SPARC - or the issues involved in doing that (Mesa3D/Java3D for \
OpenGL).

I appreciate that Stefan, Jaime, and Sergio as well as others are porting KDE 3.3.0 \
to Solaris. But, I hope we know that one size doesn't fit all here. I can work with \
anyone who just wants to compile the code in the way I can repackage them for \
Blastwave distribution if they want to maintain the Sun Studio versions or GCC \
versions (just build your code to point to /opt/csw/lib and /opt/csw/kde-gcc/lib \
(GCC3) for libraries) and read the Blastwave Standards page. I can focus on Solaris \
x86 efforts and Solaris 10 QA testing if that helps anyone out on dedicated \
resources.

Ken Mays - Earthlink, Inc. : KDE maintainer/supporter at Blastwave.org