List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    Re: [kde-solaris] KDE 3.1 Memory Usage
From:       Torsten Kasch <tk () Genetik ! Uni-Bielefeld ! DE>
Date:       2003-03-13 9:04:51

Hi,

On Thursday 13 March 2003 09:39, Philippe Bourdeu d'Aguerre wrote:
> On Mercredi 12 Mars 2003 14:36, Gerhard Franke wrote:
> > /usr/ucb/ps -axw
>
> It doesn't work for me, it gives also "kdeinit +kcminit +knotify". But
> looking further, I see that it depends of application and how it is
> started. Kmail, for exemple, is always named "kmail" but konsole (or kcalc)
> started by the K menu are seen as "kdeinit +kcminit +knotify" but started
> in a shell are seen as konsole (or kcalc).
>
> On Linux, it's similar but a konsole started by menu is seen as
> "kdeinit:konsole"

If I understand things correctly, this has to do how process information are
managed in the kernel: they are kept in a separate "address space" to which
the process has no access once it is running (the only time this is possible
is during startup via the appropriate parameter to one of the exec(2) system
calls). Therefore, the process cannot alter its name that is displayed with
ps/top/whatever (there's no "setproctitle()" or aequivalent in Solaris right
now).

As you noted, the difference lies in the way an application is started: It is
my understanding that (in order to increase startup speed by eliminating the
dynamic link phase) some KDE applications can be started by asking the
initial "kdeinit" process to fork(2) off a child instead of running the
binary directly; konqueror is an example for the first case (check the
"Exec=" line in the konqueror.desktop file) whereas "kmail" ist started as an
"ordinary binary" which is why only in this case there is displayed a useful
"process name" on Solaris systems.

Hope this helps,

	Torsten

--