List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    [kde-solaris] 3.1rc2: severe problems on Solaris
From:       Torsten Kasch <tk () Genetik ! Uni-Bielefeld ! DE>
Date:       2002-11-13 9:13:33

Hi all,

has anyone got 3.1rc2 (or newer) to work on Solaris 8? I didn't see any
reports of problems similar to mine, so I'm hesitating to file bug reports
right now (I might have screwed up something here) -- perhaps someone can
enlighten me...

Using qt-copy, kdelibs, kdebase (as of last weekend) from anoncvs, the
following happens:

* Konqueror crashes when clicking somehere in the blue background of the
  "about:" page. This doesn't seem to happen when deselect "Actions disabled"
  in Kicker's setup (I'm not sure if this really related, it's just the
  symptom...).

* Konqueror crashes during rendering http://www.trolltech.com/

  Platform:	Solaris 8/x86
		XFree86 4.0.2 (just the server)
		FreeType 2.1.2
  Compiler:	a) gcc-3.2, binutils-2.12, gdb-5.2.1
		b) gcc-2.95.2 (no binutils, using Sun's assembler & linker)
		each compiled after cvs-clean with NO references in
		$PATH/$QTDIR/$KDEDIR to previous installations

  A backtrace of such a crash can be found on can be found on
  http://www.genetik.uni-bielefeld.de/kde/konq-rc2-trace.txt (compiled using
  variant (b), since (a) results in "??" for most of the function/method
  names...) The trace suggests to me that the problem might be in Qt's font
  handling code, but this just a first guess...

* KDE hangs during login: ksplash shows "Initializing peripherals" and finally
  exits leaving a grey desktop. On the console (and /var/adm/messages I see
  messages like

Nov 11 07:39:28 macleod ypbind[28459]: [ID 379826 daemon.error] service not \
                installed, use /usr/sbin/ypinit -c
Nov 11 07:39:33 macleod ypbind[28460]: [ID 379826 daemon.error] service not \
                installed, use /usr/sbin/ypinit -c
Nov 11 07:39:39 macleod ypbind[28461]: [ID 379826 daemon.error] service not \
installed, use /usr/sbin/ypinit -c [...]

  being displayed every 5 seconds. I admit this looks more like an OS problem,
  but I have never seen such behaviour in earlier KDE releases before
  (we're currently running 2.2.2 in production and I've successfully run 3.0.2
  and 3.1beta1, the latter being _rock_solid_ on Solaris/SPARC so far.)

  Debugging is a bit difficult since all processes show up as kdeinit's
  on Solaris...
  I've dropped the ".xsession-errors" on
  http://www.genetik.uni-bielefeld.de/kde/xsession-hanging.txt
  in case someone want's to have look...

  I thought the 5s interval might have something to do with kded's checking
  my system configuration, so I installed the following as
  $KDEDIR/share/config/kdedrc:

	[General]
	PollInterval=500
	NFSPollInterval=5000
	HostnamePollInterval=5000
	CheckSycoca=false
	CheckUpdates=false
	CheckHostname=false

  But unfortunately this didn't help either. I also tried cleaning up all
  /tmp/kde*, /tmp/ksocket*, ~/.mcop*, ~/.kde etc. files and directories
  without success...

  Platform:	Solaris 8/SPARC (Ultra 5 Workstations, SunRay 1 Terminals)
		Sun's XServer
		FreeType 2.1.2
		using NIS for passwd/group, dns/files for hosts,
		NFS mounted home and software partitions
  Compiler:	gcc-3.2, no binutils

Any suggestions/debugging tips welcome. Thanks for listening,

	Torsten

--
   Torsten Kasch                               tk@Genetik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
        Biologie VI/Zentrum f. Genomforschung