List:       kde-solaris
Subject:    Re: [kde-solaris] Compiling KOffice
From:       Nick Thompson <nickthompson () agere ! com>
Date:       2001-09-14 15:18:25

In the man for Sun ld it says:

 -z text     In dynamic mode only, forces  a  fatal  error  if  any
             relocations against non-writable, allocatable sections
             remain.
 -z textoff  In dynamic mode only, allows relocations  against
             all allocatable  sections,  including  non-writable  ones.
             This is the default when building a shared object.
 -z textwarn In dynamic mode only, lists a warning if  any  reloca-
             tions   against   non-writable,  allocatable  sections
             remain. This is the default when building  an  execut-
             able.

Still, its anyones guess what that means :)

If you are building a library then I guess you would expect end up with
relocations required in the text (read only) section. The above suggests
the -z textoff is the default in that case (shared object). However, if
gcc is suggesting to ld that it should use -z text when building shared
objects (%{shared:-G -dy %{!mimpure-text:-z text}}), then presumably ld
ignores the default, textoff, and fails on a condition you would expect
to find in a shared library. I think that is a mistake in the gcc
install.

Nick.