List:       kde-silk
Subject:    [Kde-silk]  Generic disconnected mode for web services
From:       Josef Spillner <spillner () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-03-27 15:07:08

Hello folks,

We're about to finish the Blue Wonder sprint [0] where we discussed several
strategies on how to advance the social gaming & gaming in the cloud ideas
which have been floating around for years already.

One of the identified requirements include the ability of users to retain data
souvereignity. Technically, this translates into a lot of caching,
disconnected operations and synchronisation. In 2008 I've started to design
the LokaRest library [1] to provide such facilities in a generic way to web
service consumption code, although admittedly haven't been actively working on
it since some time after its creation. One year later, the librest part of
Silk [2] has been created which seems to be loosely related but seems to have
a similar track record of activity.

For the upcoming OCS sprint, we sort of had the idea to tamp something like
LokaRest beneath specific service consumption libraries such as Attica for OCS
access. It would additionally be benefitial to migration scenarios where users
want to take their data from one provider to another one.

What are the opinions, plans, stakes of the Silk people?

Josef

[0] http://community.kde.org/KDE_Games/Sprint_2011
[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/LokaRest
[2] git@git.kde.org:silk/librest