List:       kde-sdk-devel
Subject:    Phase 2 started: making each submodule (=future repo) self-contained
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-06-01 12:37:59

Hi all,

so besides phase 3 (Write migration rules) phase 2 of the migration process is
reached as well:
"Split KDESDK's CMakeLists.txt file into separate individual top-level files
for each repo, KDESDK's build file only references each repository (nothing
more)"

While I do not yet know how to deal with the doc/ folder (and hopefully there
are no other possible stoppers), the plan now is to get to the state where all
toplevel dirs are a 1:1 map of the planned git repos, with the toplevel
CMakeLists.txt of the kdesdk module being "just a list of add_subdirectory(
blah )".

So all maintainers, please start to adapt the buildsystem of your
program/plugin types for that. Do not forget to...
* ... copy/move the needed cmake modules into your submodule structure,
instead of still relying on kdesdk/cmake/*
* ... copy the needed license files to your submodule.

For your adapted submodule I ask you to put the line with the

	macro_optional_add_subdirectory(YOUR_SUBMODULE)

at the very top of the kdesdk/CMakeLists.txt, so
* all the already adapted submodules can be easily found
* that way they are also automatically tested for building without anything
setup in kdesdk/CMakeLists.txt by everyone who builds the whole of kdesdk.

When the question how to deal with doc/ has been resolved, I will move all the
docs in one go to the submodules, so you do not need to care about these.

And I will move kpartloader, kuiviewer, kprofilemethod, kstartperf, and
kmtrace to a new toplevel dir utils/ during the upcoming WE.
And of course also care for Okteta :)

Cheers
Friedrich