List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    AppStream Metadata with our releases
From:       "=?utf-8?B?SnVsaXVzIEvDvG56ZWw=?=" <jk.kdedev () smartlab ! uber ! space>
Date:       2024-03-21 23:37:00

Hi!

(This mail goes to multiple lists, please reply to kde-devel)

With Flathub beeing more strict on its AppStream metadata guidlines [1] there is yet \
another spotlight on AppStream metadata.

AppStream metadata are consumed by app stores like Flathub, Snapcraft, Discover, our \
scripts to submit apps to the Microsoft Store and last but not least by apps.kde.org \
[2].

For release info in particular the quality guidelines say: "Make sure all your \
releases have release notes, even minor ones." [3] As I think this makes perfectly \
sense, I like to propose two things that seem straight forward to me:

- We should not remove older releases from the AppStream data as already suggested by \
Carl in a merge request [4].

- Also it would be convenient to add noteworthy changes to the metadata together with \
the related code change. However at the moment for KDE Gear the release is usually \
only added to the metadata a few days before tagging. Would it be possible to add the \
next minor release to the release branch right after the current one has been \
released and the next major release to master ones the upcoming version has been \
branched?

I belive this makes it easier for developers to contribute to the release meta info \
and I hope it hence raises motivation to do so.

I am happy to hear your opionions, thoughts and concerns!

Cheers,
Julius

[1] https://docs.flathub.org/docs/for-app-authors/metainfo-guidelines
[2] https://apps.kde.org/
[3] https://docs.flathub.org/docs/for-app-authors/metainfo-guidelines/quality-guidelines/#release-notes
 [4] https://invent.kde.org/sysadmin/appstream-metainfo-release-update/-/merge_requests/6

Julius Künzel
Volunteer KDE Developer, mainly hacking Kdenlive
KDE GitLab: www.invent.kde.org/jlskuz https://invent.kde.org/jlskuz
Matrix: @jlskuz:kde.org https://go.kde.org/matrix/#/@jlskuz:kde.org