List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    =?utf-8?q?Re=3A?= kio-extras and the KF5/KF6 period
From:       Bernhard_Rosenkränzer <bero () lindev ! ch>
Date:       2023-05-16 23:09:07

Hi,

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 00:02 CEST, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:

> If we're going to support a period on which we ship both Kf5 and KF6 based
> applications we need to:
>
> Make sure kf5 and kf6 are coinstallable.

I'm currently packaging a first KF6 snapshot in OpenMandriva. Looks pretty good \
already, but there's still a few problems with coinstallability, esp. when building \
man pages is enabled (some of them still have *5 names, conflicting with the \
identical parts in kf5, even where corresponding binaries have been renamed).

Of course some bits like kded still use conflicting *5 names even for the core parts.

> a) release two tarballs, one for each KF
> b) release one tarball that compiles both for kf5 and kf6
> c) just release the kf6 tarball, stop releasing the kf5 tarball but ask
> distributions to still install it
>
> What's everyone's preference?

Depends: If the code is virtually the same with a few ifdefs, b) is good to make sure \
the kf5 version still gets fixes when all development has moved on. If the divergence \
becomes too big, either a) or c) works for us - probably no need for frequent \
releases of the kf5 version (so that would be c) + possibly a kf5 release if a major \
bug is found/fixed, but not necessarily with every kf6 release).

ttyl
bero